You might be familiar with the term egg quality, but what exactly does that mean? This refers to the likelihood of an embryo implanting based on the health of the eggs (psst, sperm is also important!). Although IVF can help you become pregnant, it does not improve egg quality.
Egg Quality Versus Quantity
AMH, or anti-mullerian hormone is produced by immature ovarian follicles in your ovaries. It is currently the best method for measuring your egg supply, also known as ovarian reserve. Keep in mind that AMH measures quantity, not quality. As a Naturopathic Doctor with a special focus in fertility, my goal is to help optimize the health of your eggs.
What does affect egg quality?
LOTS of things! Below is a list of key factors that impact egg health.
- Environmental exposure
- Smoking & cannabis
- Nutrient status
- Autoimmune disease
- Hormone imbalances
- Mood (depression/anxiety)
- Recreational drug use
- Preexisting endocrine conditions (PCOS, fibroids, endometriosis)
- Genetic diseases (MTHFR, CF)
As you can see, there are numerous factors that can impact your ability to conceive. As it takes approximately 100 days for eggs to fully mature, we want to start working on egg quality three months before trying to conceive.
What Can I Start Doing Now?
We know that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, fibre, whole grains, fish/seafood, nuts and olive oil helps improve egg quality, whereas diets high in processed foods, sugar, coffee, alcohol, potatoes, refined carbohydrates, sweets and fat-free dairy negatively affects the quality. Custom meal plans and key fertility Superfoods are a major part of our preconception care plan.
Aside from diet and lifestyle changes, we also look at your home environment and tailor supplements specific to your needs
- Lifestyle- Removing endocrine-disrupting chemicals in your household and beauty products is critical for reducing the toxic burden and prevent damage to eggs
- Supplements- I use an evidence-based approach when recommending supplements that are PROVEN to enhance egg quality
- Acupuncture- Weekly acupuncture has been shown to reduce stress, improve IVF success rates and reduce the risk of miscarriage
Ready To Learn More?
Whether you are trying to conceive naturally or preparing for IVF, I am here to support you along your fertility journey. If you want to learn more about my approach and how I can best support you, let’s connect for a complimentary 15-minute discovery call.